Sunday, February 21, 2010

My First Picture Quilt




This is my first attempt at a picture quilt. It's copied from a photograph I took when Sheryl and I were paddling at Findley State Park a few years ago. The original photo won third place in a photo contest once.

This was a very fun thing to do. You take the photo to a copy shop and have them make a bigger copy of it. The largest they could make for me was 11 by 17. Next time, I'm going to try a place that can make a larger one for me. Anyway, then you use a light box - or a window like I did. Tape the copy on the window to trace patterns for the pieces. Use your main fabric as the foundation and build your photo on it. Using your patterns, make fusible pieces and fuse them to the foundation.

Then, use fabric markers and thread painting to create the highlights, shadows, and such. It was a lot of fun.
I just added a copy of the original photo.

9 comments:

Candi said...

BEAUTIFUL! I thought you had just printed it on printable fabric and quilted over it....I had no idea! I love it.

Kim said...

Geez Sharon that is sew beautiful. Where did you learn that technique?

Sharon said...

I learned this from a friend in my quilt guild, by watching her and asking questions.

We should have a "workshop" on this technique the first time we get together after Kim moves back.

Our quilt guild is having a class on it on Thursday, March 4.

Kim said...

Sharon I got a program the other day for the 2010 HMQS show in SLC. It reminded me of how much foun we had last year.

Anonymous said...

that is really beautiful sharon

Sharon said...

Yeah, Kim, that was a great time, wasn't it? I still haven't done the projects I bought there! Ha Ha.

Joann and I (and anybody else who wants to) are going to a similar show in Cleveland at the IX Center the last week in March.

Candi said...

Did you use a metallic thread to quilt the trees? They seem to glimmer. I love how you used your quilting to give the river motion, and the trees texture!

Candi said...

Trish and I saw the ad for the show...we would like to go.

Trish said...

That is SEW SEW SEW KEWL! beautiful work!